Wednesday, February 6, 2013

mary kathryn's adventure...

mommy & daddy just returned from snowshoe, WV about 2 weeks ago. they love to ski & are hoping that i will come to love it also. then some friends of our family (kenneth & christy) planned an impromptu ski trip to sugar mountain, NC for last weekend! mommy & daddy thought this would be a great opportunity for me to learn to ski but not have to ride as far as to west virginia or fly out west.
there were many obstacles which i had to overcome in order to take part in the adventure. here are some of the things that i sometimes say "make me sad:" coats, boots, hats & gloves. but i said i wanted to ski. so we tried it!! before we left birmingham, mommy wrote a story for me about what i could expect. this really helped to prepare me for wearing my heavy coat, ski bib pants, helmet, buckle-boots & skis.
a big thanks goes out to my friend cadence tatum because she loaned me all of her old ski gear. she even had a ski-leash with a handle for my back so mommy & daddy could easily pick me up. i skied about 30 or 45 minutes, but then i really just wanted to play in the snow. in fact, i rode the magic carpet only one time (that's the bunny-ski-"lift"). as i rode up the hill, i was distracted by the fun snow on my skis. i bent over to play with the snow & i almost fell off the magic carpet (it's like a conveyer belt.) thank goodness daddy was riding right behind me -- and that handle from my friend cadence proved to be VERY useful! but there are no pictures of that event because mommy was a little scared for me!
it snowed a LOT while we were in north carolina. it snowed almost the whole time from the time of our arrival until the time of our departure. so playing in the snow was a big part of my adventure too. this was definitely the most snow i have ever seen.
our condo room had a little balcony & it stayed covered with snow. this was a perfect place for me to play because i couldn't get away very far! daddy built a snowman for us & he dressed it with our ski hats & scarves!
currently i am very IN to sunglasses. grammy had given me this set of pink sunglasses & i wear them almost constantly. but they came in pretty handy for this trip.
i had so much fun & i have been asking to go back. however i do not wish to ski again any time soon. but sugar mountain was a magical place to visit.